A year ago I did a big overhaul of my closet. I removed all the clutter that I was storing at the top of my closet to make way for a closet makeover that never happened. So my closet shelf is pretty bare these days.
- Empty | Remove items
- Clean | Wipe down walls and shelves
- Sort & Purge | Go through each and every item in your closet. Sort into these categories - KEEP, DONATE|SALE, REPAIR, TRASH, RELOCATE.
- Organize | Evaluate your storage solutions and put things back
- When was the last time I wore this? Typically if you haven't worn it in a years time it should be donated.
- Does this still fit properly? If you cannot fit it, donate it or sell it to a consignment shop.
- Do I still love this item? Some items you just don't like anymore, they may be out of date or simply your style may have changed.
- Is the item damaged in anyway? If you can repair your item yourself, set aside some time to fix it. If it needs professional repair, first ask yourself if its worth it. Sometimes you can buy a new item cheaper than repairing it. Do not put the damaged item back in your closet, you may forget about it and you only want wearable clothes to go back in your closet.
- Coordinate hangers for a clean look
- Hang like items together: long sleeve shirts with long sleeve shirts, dresses with dresses
- Color coordinate your clothes, this makes things easier to find and looks good
I went through all my clothes and shoes and I am happy to say I purged a huge bagful of items from my closet. It feels good! I will be taking my bag of clothes and shoes to a consignment shop today and just maybe get a few dollars for things I cannot fit or like anymore. Everything else will be donated.