organized my files with washi tape. It is one of my top viewed post on pinterest!
I still love the look but overtime the washi tape has started to peel at the edges. I am planning on replacing my folders with colorful ones with printable labels.
I have received quite a bit of emails asking me how I categorize my files so today I thought I would answer that question along with a few tips.
1. Bank Accounts | One folder for each account
3. Medical Receipts
1. One folder per family member per job
2. Retirement | Pension Plans
Student Loans | One folder per account
1. One folder for each vehicle
1. Auto Policies
2. Health Insurance
3. Dental Insurance
4. Homeowners Policy
5. Life Insurance
6. Canceled Policies
I keep separate folders for each family member and pet. Each person has several sub-categories that have a separate folder. i.e.
Each kid has a School, Private Music, and Test Scores file.
1. Home Improvements
3. Property Taxes
- Keep important documents such as birth certificates, social security cards, wills in a fireproof box
- Manage incoming paper by sorting immediately. Mail, for instance, if junk can be thrown away, filed or shredded if it contains sensitive information.
- Start simple - Come up with a system that is easy to use.
- Be colorful - Use colorful folders and labels, even color code if that's your jam.
- Making filing a habit - Find time during the week to empty your 'to file' box. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to complete.