Our home gym consists of some basic pieces that aid in our daily workout routines. You don't have to have these items but they make our workouts that much more effective.
1. Yoga Mat | This is a great addition to any home gym. I use it more often than not, it provides great support on my wrist when doing planks or push-ups. I can roll it up for added support. I use a good quality yoga mat that has a good amount of cushion to protect my joints.
2. Dumbbells | Getting a few different weights is a great idea. They are a good way to intensify a workout. We don't have a complete set of dumbbells but we have a few sizes that we use on a regular basis.
3. Exercise DVDs | Sometimes we haven't the foggiest clue as to what exercises to do. There are many great DVDs out there on the market that help target problem areas and work the entire body. Whatever workout is your jam believe me they have a video. Find one and rock out! Also use your public library to find great new DVDs and don't forget about the internet. Here are the ones we use in our home.
- Jillian Michaels Beginner Shred - I just started this one but I like it. She uses weights.
- Shaun T Insanity - My husband does this religiously, it works but you work hard for it. It's too much on my knees.
- Focus T25 - Another one by Shaun T. I like this one. They have alternate exercises for beginners and each workout is only 25 minutes.
Proper clothing is essential especially when working out in the cold. Since it is currently cold out I thought I would talk about the gear we wear when running|walking in the cold. Winter should not deter you from hitting the pavement, all you need is a few essential items.
1. Good Shoes | I cannot stress this one enough. Running puts a lot of stress on your ankles and knees. You can alleviate that by proper running|walking shoes that have the support you need. We are all different so I say go to a good store and get a proper fitting and have them look at the way you run|walk to ensure you purchase the right shoe.
2. Cold Gear | Working out in the cold you want to be prepared and wear layers. As our base layer we use compression gear. It has its scientific benefits from being a tight fit but we like it cause it wicks sweat away from the body keeping you warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
1. Apps | Let your smart phone keep up with your mileage, steps, intervals, heart-rate, you name it there is an app for it. Here are the ones we use:
- Nike +
- Map My Run
- Fitness Buddy
- S Health
3. Arm Band
1. Foam Roller | We use the foam rollers at the gym after every workout and they are amazing at massaging the muscles you just worked out. We will get one of our own in the near future.
2. Max30 | Another workout DVD by Shaun T that my husband wants to try out.